welcome

Friday, November 6, 2009

The Dream Collector

I have always loved reading, like most people, but when it comes to magazines, I'm passionate. I became interested in magazines in my teens. Of course then it was a way to know what my favorite stars were doing, and what fashion was in and out. As I matured, so did my reading tastes. The books became bigger, filled with words that I had to look up to pronounce, and the magazines became more sophisticated. Sometimes I subscribed, other times I just stopped into the grocery store for a frozen pizza and left with a glossy layout of beautiful clothes, fabulous shoes, and breath-taking homes. All of life's little luxuries. I don't know what it is about a magazine. Through the years I've donated some, and given many away, but even now my bookshelves are bursting with their colorful titles. We are all aware of the hard economic times that our country is in. Yet, even when times were good and plenty, most people wouldn't pay close to $10.00 dollars for a magazine. I would, I have! lol. Diamonds (only on my wedding ring), caviar (never), Flat screen(only on my computer), but for only $3.99, I'm invited to the most elegant homes, the best Parties, and absolutely amazing closets. I've come to recognize only recently after trying to cut back on my little indulgence, what magazines really mean to me. For some women it's make-up, for others it's bags, or shoes. When asked to part with these, women will defend them from the goodwill or garbage bin like they're protecting a good old friend. I give away these items easily. Whether it's a brand new dress (tags and all) or a beloved coat  filled with memories, I'm happy that someone else will enjoy it, but magazines..........MY magazines! Well, that's another thing. As I stared at the stacks of Fashion, Homes, Cooking, Parenting, Human Interest, a relaxed smile came across my face. While most people read and toss, I read, re-read, and make a special place for it. I asked myself while I was cleaning one day ( I had already gotten rid of at least 50...) and I thought "God, Why is it so hard for me to just throw these away? and then I understood. These magazines weren't only filled with things, they were filled with dreams, MY Dreams. For me, it really wasn't the materialistic value of the items. It was the life behind it. In my magazine, I can cook like Sandra Lee, entertain like a Southern Lady, Decorate like FiFi O'Neil, arrange a tablescape like Phyllis Hoffman, or throw a party like Instyle. These pages inspire me to live my life to the fullest, to make it as beautiful as possible. Beauty, to me, is truly inspirational. I'm fortunate enough to have great people in my life to love and encourage me. I have a wonderful relationship with God that keeps me going and growing. Yet every now and then, dinner is a hassle, the kids are a hand full, and my hair refuses to cooperate. Then it's time for reinforcements, and in those picture-perfect pages, I hear: You can do it  Regina! I can and I will! with God on my side, a hammer in my hand, and House Beautiful magazine on my countertop. I've learned that magazines only help you dream, but YOU have to do the work. What great Ideas do you have that you're waiting to turn into a reality?  Well, don't just collect your dreams, learn to LIVE them.....Just a Thought.

Quote of the Day: The Future belongs to those who believe in the Beauty of their Dreams-Eleanor Roosevelt

*Some of my Favorite Magazines are:
http://www.instyle.com/
http://www.lifebeautifulmagazine.com/

Life: Beautiful
Romantic Homes
Romantic Country
Southern Accents
Southern Lady
Sandra Lee
Tea Time
Veranda
Victoria

1 comment:

  1. lol@ for $3.99 im invited to the most elegant homes...you so funny! You really should look at being a prof blogger..you are really good. Very vivid descriptions and details

    ReplyDelete

Slideshow

My Favorites