welcome

Sunday, November 8, 2009

The magic of a Tutu


There are some images in life that conjur up the nostalgia of childhood so powerful, that instantly we feel transported. Tutus are magic carpets for the minds of Mothers longing to remember days of innocence and daydreams. What little girl hasn't at one point in her life wanted to be a dancer? Not any dancer mind you, but preferably a Prima Ballerina. Whether it was a school field trip to see the Nutcracker for the first time, or the church play with homemade costumes, dancing is a childhood dream that almost every girl has had at some point. As I sat watching the 2006 Documentary: Ballerina, I was mesmerized. I couldn't help but feel like that third grade snowflake again from my school's production of the Nutcracker. I remembered the nervousness of peeking from behind the cafeteria doors to see my Mother and youngest brother waiting patiently for the show to begin. I remembered the relief that swept over me once I heard the applause of the audience, and saw my Mother smiling while clapping vigorously. To have the ability to take a restless, and perhaps tired crowd, and help tranform them into a joyous bunch of smiling, happy people. To touch hearts through something that I enjoyed doing: Dancing. I Felt SO Special. I even requested a "My first ballerina" Barbie, which I found waiting for me under the Christmas tree later that year. My dreams changed many times after that moment, but everytime I see a dancer or a tutu I think of that wonderful memory.Childhood is one of the most amazing gifts that life has to offer because there's nothing out of reach. Goals are pursued for the mere Joy and Pleasure of it all. I think about my sons, especially Micah, and his interest in transportation vehicles. I've asked him many times throughout the years what he would like to be when he grows up. I've heard everything from a Firefighter to an Ambulance driver, but the most touching response was the one he gave my husband, Aaron a week ago. When Aaron asked him what he wanted to be, he simply said "Dad, I want to rescue people, but I know I'll need my mommy, daddy, and Zion to help me. I'll need my whole family to help me rescue people when I grow up and my wife to help me". Unbelievable! The thing that we miss most sometimes from childhood is honesty.The ability to see the best in others and ourselves. That's why I Love the fact that God encourages us, through his word, to be like little children. I also feel that's why Motherhood is such a special gift from God, because we reap the benefit of our children's innocence and insight daily. I don't know what symbol of childhood will stick out in Micah's mind when he grows up. It may be the sound  and Flashing lights of an ambulance that makes him remember when he wanted to save the world. Perhaps he might even, with a little help from his family and alot of Prayer, become the Hero that he already is in his heart........Just a Thought, but a Lovely one.      

     
For Micah, we've invested alot of time researching different vehicles. We take him to the Library regularly to pick out books and movies that show different community helpers and their jobs. We've thrown all kinds of Birthday parties for him from Firefigher to Thomas the train. In the car, we pause to point out  different kinds of construction trucks and  briefly tell what they do. He has a wonderful memory and can identify almost anything on the road, air, and sea. I believe that just taking an interest in what he loves will pay off later. It doesn't really matter if he becomes something different in life. What matters is that he knows whatever he does, he'll do it with the help of God and his family.
*What dreams do your children have?
How do you show your support, and encourage their dreams?

2 comments:

  1. what a sweet post! i wish they would stay little forever! my noah wants to be a lego toy designer and my girl, well, she wants to be a princess! just a reminder, she is only four! whatever they want to be! thanks so much for the sweet comment! it helps! and thank you for praying! prayer works! looking forward to more visits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Encouraging comment! I look forward checking in on your friend's progress, and on your blog. Until then, we'll keep Pushing(praying until something happens!)

    ReplyDelete

Slideshow

My Favorites