welcome

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Emilie Barnes



My absolute Favorite author of all time would have to be Emilie Barnes. It was  almost 6 1/2 years ago when we were living in MI and expecting our first son Micah. I was overjoyed and overwhelmed at the same time. The thought of  having a baby gave me all of these images of family life, and balancing marriage and motherhood. Everyone knows that new moms read more than Anyone! lol, so I decided that I wanted more structured quiet time with God. I went out to buy my first devotional. I walked into the fragrant store seeing all of it's knick knacks and candles, hearing soft, almost angelic music in the background. My eyes began to glance over the book shelves. The selection was wide and diverse. A year devotional for moms, for grandparents, for kids,for college students, for praying the names of God, and the list goes on. Suddenly I saw it "15 minutes Alone with God: Enjoying Quiet Moments in Busy times. I was hooked. From the pink and lavendar flowers on the cover ( I told you, I can't resist those colors) to the brief, but encouraging description on the back. Even her picture looked warm and friendly. I opened it, and after reading one page knew it was the right one. It was filled with funny, sometimes touching stories, scripture references, and key verses, like any standard devotional, but what got me was the writing. The way Emilie invited you in with prayers, and thoughts of action at the end of each lesson. The way she was able to pinpoint questions and fears, then gave practical, uplifting solutions. It was just what I needed as a young wife and soon to be mother. I cherished each lesson and then recommended the book to the world. Some of my friends not only read it, but bought copies for others. I read that devotional for almost 4 years straight. I still haven't found one that I like as much. Then I discovered her other writings. The famous 15 minute home organizer, If Teacups could talk, and Everything I know I learned in my Garden. A few personal favorites are :Homewarming: Secrets to Making your House a Welcoming place(formerly  called the Spirit of Loveliness),Simple Secrets to a Beautiful Home:Creating a Place you and Your Family Will Love, and of course Quiet Moments for a Busy Mom's Soul. Emilie has written over 60 books, some of them have been in print for more than 20 years! She was voted one of the 100 Christian women who changed the 20th century. All I know is every time  I've made a cup of Chammomile or spiced Chai tea, gathered a few cookies together, and got cozy with one of her books, it's been a lovely evening. Find one of her books and have a lovely moment of your own. Just a thought








*For more Info on Emilie Barnes or her books, visit these websites or click on the link below:
emiliebarnes.com
harvesthousepublishers.com
homemakingorganized.com
cbd.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Slideshow

My Favorites