welcome

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Meals and Morals









Today I decided to feed the Stomach as well as the Soul. What do you feed on? There has been a recent wave of going green, eating well, living longer,etc. I think that what we feed our soul is even more important than what we put in our mouths. We know that there are certain foods that we can eat to increase our energy and  to help us to retain a youthful appearance, but sometimes we forget that there are also conscience decisions that we can make for a more peaceful, and joyous life. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of daily prayer with God. It is just the Most positive thing that you can do for yourself and for those around you.  We all have lives filled with responsibilities and obligations that are not always of our choosing, that consume both our time and energy sometimes robbing us of the very things and people that we love the most. I don't know how much time that you have in your day, but even if you  only have one chance to sit down and to eat one meal, make a habit of communicating with God your gratitude for whatever you are eating. A brief whisper of thanks to God,your provider, can make a world of difference.Pray that your meal will not only fill your stomach with tasty goodness, but your heart with gladness. I promise that just like the meal pictured above, it's deliciously simple and ultimately satisfying. One of the most familiar sounds that I have of my childhood is that of my mother praying in the bathroom (or if occupied me or one of my three brothers, she would resort to the closet). I can remember hearing her singing hymns that softly transitioned into whispers of gratitude for our family, expressions of thanks for God's goodness, and requests for our continued safety, health, and overall well-being. The house always had an unusal stillness about it when mom would go off to her "secret place" to pray. Even as small children, a hush would come over us, as if we knew that the time that she was spending with God was special. Mom always returned with more peace than she had before. Sure, with our large family things would get busy again. Dad would come home from work, dinner would be made, homework checked,chores completed, baths taken, and there were other prayers at bed time, but the  moments that she took to herself are the ones I remember as being special. The softness of her voice afterwards, and the gentle expression on her face. She literally seemed to glow with beauty.I remember thinking that I wanted my children to know those same feeling that I had experienced daily. I wanted them to know the same peace and stillness, to hear the same joy in my voice and to see the outward expression on my face afterwards, and to know that it was all because I had spent "special" time with God.I confess that I am still striving to get there. I only have two children. How my mother managed an orderly life with four is beyond me, but I like to think that those secret moments is how she got there. So Today let's save a little time making dinner with this simple recipe so we can spend a little more time receiving Peace and Joy from the one who blessed us with it all...... Just a Thought, but a Lovely one.









I got the chicken recipe from one of the cookbooks that I received as a newlywed 8 years ago :Taste of Home 2001 Annual Recipes. The Anti-pasta is something that I cooked up by combining a wonderful recipe for marinated cucumbers(also found in this cook book) and a rotini that I have been making for my husband for years. The combination is SO Good! Both recipes feed 4-8 people depending on the amount of chicken breasts that you use.
Breaded Ranch Chicken
3/4 cup of crushed cornflakes
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
4-8 skinless,boneless chicken breasts(2lb)
1/2 cup butter or margarine(1 stick) Melted
Directions
In a shallow bowl, combine the cornflakes,Parmesan, and salad dressing mix. Dip the chicken in the melted butter, then roll in the cornflake mixture. Place in a greased 13-in x 9-in baking dish. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 35-45min or until chicken juices run clear.

Marinated cucmbers
2-4 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced(depending on personal taste)
1 medium onion, sliced
1 cup vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
combine all ingredients in a tupperware bowl with a tight lid. I like to marinate it overnight, but it still tastes good if you add it to the pasta a couple of hours before

Anti Pasta
1 box tri-colored rotini
4oz of Mozzarella,cut into cubes
1 bag(16oz) frozen Brocolli, thawed
1 Red Bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 medium, Red Onion (thinly sliced)
1/2 cup of Zesty Italian dressing
6oz Pepperoni, sliced in halves(optional)
Directions
Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. Run cold water on noodles(while in a colander or strainer) after cooking to cool off(or just set them in the fridge) add all of the ingredients (including the cucumbers with juices) stir  and serve cold. Refrigerate leftovers.
The Drink is a well iced Green tea Peach Mango from Crystal Light


No comments:

Post a Comment

Slideshow

My Favorites